Saturday, January 17, 2009

Those Everyday Moments


In reading Stephen Cope's "The Wisdom of Yoga," I came across an incredible quote of Franz Kafka's:

You don't need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Don't even listen, simply wait. Don't even wait. Be quite still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you. It has no choice. It will roll in ecstasy at your feet.

In a culture where being "connected" all the time to people through Internet, iPhones, texting, blue tooth-technology, etc., sometimes it can be hard to unhook and rediscover the deep joy found in each moment.

Here's a short list of some of my favorite of those moments:

Watching birds eat seed on my balcony as the sun streams in.
A cup of chai.
Kissing trees.
Walking along Seneca Creek, emptying my mind as I go.
Looking out the window while riding the bus.

What are some of yours?

(The photo above was taken by John Fischer and is of sunrise over Haleakala, the dormant volcano on Maui. I was browsing google images and was struck by this picture - then I realized, with a smile, that it's from Hawaii. Good news on the photo front for this blog - I finally got my own digital camera from my parents for my birthday, so very soon, I'll be able to put up my own pictures here. Yay!)

2 comments:

Beverly said...

Lovely, lovely post Greg! Like many people there was a time when I didn't realize how fortunate I am for every moment of life, but I have learned to slow down and live in the now and find the beauty in each moment. There is much peace to be found here!

Anonymous said...

My Honey Bear,

Here are five of my favorite deep joy moments:

Watching the Snow Ponies fly on the Winds of Winter.

Standing silently on the bank of the Mississippi River.

Breathing in the breath of a sun warmed peony.

A solitary sauna.

Eating fresh picked raspberries still covered with dew.